No Bikini Zucchini Cake
Especially men would raise their eyebrows immediately when I tell them I made a Zucchini Cake for them. It is not really hard to convince them once they eat that the Zucchini itself is actually only there to conserve the moisture and the actual Zucchini you don’t really taste. Well but you see, as soon as you say Zucchini, they think they will get a green salad cake (in their heads actually it is a violet cake because they often mistake Zucchini with Eggplant and the other way round! OMG! )
So, well, for the last Potluck at work I came around with the idea to bring a Zucchini Cake and it turned out very well (feedback!). The only effort you need to do is to rasp the Zucchini upfront – thats the hardest work of the whole cake.
For the easy peasy cake take the following ingredients:
- 2 Starbucks Cups of Flour
- 1 Starbucks Cup of Brown Sugar (or white if browns in not there)
- 1 Starbucks Cup of grated Zucchini (equals 1 whole large Zucchini )
- 1 Pack of Vanilla Sugar if available
- 1 Starbucks Cup of a nice mix of Nuts (Brazilian, Hazelnut, Walnut)
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/2 a Starbucks Cup of Cocoa Powder (can be replaced with real chocolate)
- 1 Pack (220 g) of Butter
- Zest of one Lemon (if on hand)
You’ll need: Small Skillet, Cake Form, Hand Mixer
- I suggest with starting to use some of your butter to butter the cake form and powder it with a little bit of your cocoa powder
- Put the nuts into a grinder and chop them roughly – i like it a bit chunky so I am not over doing it with the grinder.
- Grate your Zucchini if you haven’t done that yet and try to squeeze the water a little bit out of it with your bare hands
Put the small skillet on your oven on low heat and melt the butter in it.
Separate the eggs and beat the egg white until fully done. Set aside.
Start whisking the egg yolks so they are getting foamy. You can use a kitchen machine or by hand (like me). Slowly but steadily add the molten butter to your egg yolk. It should get a nice creamy texture.
Add the Sugar & the Vanilla Sugar step by step to your egg yolk mix. Add the flour, the nuts, and the cocoa powder and last but not least, the Zucchini. Grate some nice lemon zest into your dough if available.
If you don’t have any cocoa powder on hand but some chocolate try to melt the chocolate together with the butter or try to melt it in a bain-marie.
For the grand finale carefully add the beaten egg whites to it.
Heat the oven to 180°.
Put the whole mixture into your prepared and powdered baking form. Put in oven for approx. 50 mins.
I powder the cake either with icing sugar or more cocoa powder. You can also do some nice pimping here with a caramel sauce, chocolate sauce or maybe even a nice mascarpone icing same as in my fabulous carrot cake.