Best ever Carrot Cake
To speak the truth, this recipe was invented by the one and only Jamie Oliver. I might just be a little bit more flexible than him when preparing it.
Nevertheless, alone the lime-mascarpone icing is unique in taste and will give your already unbelievably good cake the super-duper finish. Baking is not one of my core competencies – cooking just suits a little bit more to me. I am still trying to do my best when laying hands on cakes.
For a cake of medium size use the following:
- 250 – 300 g Plain Flour (A little more than 1 full Starbucks cup)
- 250 – 300 g Unrefined/Brown Sugar ( 1 full Starbucks cup)
- 1 Pack of Unsalted Butter (around 250 g)
- 5-6 Eggs – separated
- 3 large Carrots
- 1 Orange
- 2 generous hands full of Nuts (such as Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Almonds, Brazilian Nuts)
- 1 heap of Cinnamon Powder
- if available: Pinch of Nutmeg
- Baking Powder (if really required usually it works also without)
For the Icing:
- 1 Pack (125g) of Mascarpone
- 1 Pack (125g) of Cream Cheese (Philadelphia)
- 4-5 Tablespoons Icing Sugar
- 2 Limes
…. feel free to replace Mascarpone and/or Cream Cheese with Curd or Greek Joghurt – the Icing is quite heavy.
Prepare yourselves by washing carrots and grating them. Add juice and zest of the orange.
Start swirling butter, egg yolk and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Fold in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts and carrots.
Time to heat your oven to 180 ° and prepare the baking form. Put in some butter or oil into the form. Powder the baking form with flour or breadcrumbs to make sure your cake does not stick to the form itself.
Last but not least beat egg whites and also fold under the remaining batter. Pour the batter into the baking form. The cake will take around 1 hour with 180°.
Once cake is finished set aside and let it rest and cool down.
In the meantime prepare the Icing. For this, just mix Mascarpone & Cream Cheese. Add zest & juice of the limes and add the icing sugar.
As soon as the cake has an acceptable heat (means: you can touch the form and the cake without having your fingers burned) put the Icing on the cake itself. For decoration you can grate some more lime and put on top.
Thanks Jamie for that great recipe – please invite us soon to one of your restaurants!